2006-02-06

WoW - Part 10^35

Just a preface, I'm not commenting on any one person here. This is an observation that I've noticed over the past 12 months of playing World Of Warcraft.

Why is it that almost everyone (who doesn't play) listens to my fanaticism with more of a "golly, you're hardcore, and kinda nerdy"? It's as if people presume that it's ME, or my personality, that takes this to the extreme. Why does nearly everyone make judgments about it without even trying it? I rarely find people that approach this in a more logical way: "With so many people so addicted to the game, maybe the game is exceptional. Maybe it's even something that I'd like as well." I've met maybe 3 people that started with the presumption that I am normal and that it's the game that is worth this devotion. Sure, I proved that theory wrong in the end, but it was nice that they gave me the benefit of the doubt.

FYI, it was Blizzcon where I shed all concern over what people think about my WoW habits. So comment however you like. In the end, I really feel sorry for people that don't play. Most of you have no idea of what you are missing.

4 comments:

j said...

The main reason I've never tried it out is that I have an instinctive aversion to any game that requires me to pay a monthly fee.

Regirlfriend said...

"I've met maybe 3 people that started with the presumption that I am normal and that it's the game that is worth this devotion. Sure, I proved that theory wrong in the end, but it was nice that they gave me the benefit of the doubt."

Ha ha!

Most people don't have anything at all in their lives that bring them to the elated and very committed level that this brings you to. There are some close parallels but this one is extremely unique.

I can tell you what MY problem with WoW is. I miss D a lot. I didn't have a negative opinion of WoW until recently. In fact, I enjoyed the game. The thrill of leveling up (I got the thrill TWICE) and the freedom of choosing your own race and purpose, that's pretty cool. The term "Game Widow" is all cute and funny until you really ARE one...a newlywed falling asleep ALONE every night, and the $500 xbox you waited outside Best Buy for him to have--and the 32" flat-panel TV we had to purchase to go with it--are sitting there gathering dust. And you actually start to feel GUILTY for having homework on the computer because it's robbing him of his life's one pleasure. When you get married, you better not do this. I'm the most patient wife, ask D. I just think the coolness of WoW is pretty intense, and how can I compete with that? Well, I mean I try to. But how can I not LOSE so much when I compete with that?

Even though D hasn't played WoW as much since he's had to install his new Control4 system, I'd like to know what you think. However, suggesting an attitude/perspective change right now won't go over well. Thanks!

Adam said...

J, how many things do you already pay a monthly fee for? I pay these things:
Electic/Utilities
Natural Gas
Cell Phone
Rent
Renters insurance (actually, I pay annually)
Car Insurance (biannually)
Internet
A few credit cards (depending on how much I use them)
World Of Warcraft

Out of these bills, WoW is the smallest, and definitely returns the most joy. Maybe a dose of WoW would help you overcome your bias towards recurring fee's?

Kir, you know D loves you more than WoW. And I know you're kidding around to a degree. But with anything new and exciting, we tend to overdo it a bit at first. To keep my future wife from becoming a WoW Widow, I plan on either a. never getting married, or b. marrying someone that's already addicted herself. Problem solved. This fabulous person (a Troll, Orc, Undead, or possibly even a Tauren) will need to be willing to move, to a new server, Dark Iron.

To solve your concerns, I suggest you buy a second computer (for homework), and a second account (for when there is no more homework).

j said...

Adam,

You make a good argument, although listing all those monthyly fees for things that I pretty much have to have (although I don't have renters insurance) doesn't get me excited about adding to the list, especially as I try to find reasons to go work on my research on my off days. One more reason to stay home could be all it takes to derail my schooling. Maybe when I, someday, graduate.