2009-01-01

Details about my 2008 CD

Overall, keep in mind that I don't include songs with the intention of conveying any messages. In fact, I will usually exclude songs because I don't want anyone thinking that a theme was intended. So if you find a hidden message or something offensive, it is probably a coincidence.

01. Ashes Divide - Keep Telling Myself It's Alright - 02 - Denial Waits
You are all lucky (or unlucky) that my 2008 CD wasn't just this entire album.

02. Ashes Divide - Keep Telling Myself It's Alright - 04 - Forever Can Be
I love the line "We all want... you to see... the you we see". If more people would see themselves the way their family and friends saw them, this world would be a better place.

03. Ashes Divide - Keep Telling Myself It's Alright - 06 - Enemies
Do not listen to this song while driving, it makes you speed. This song kicks more ass than any 3 songs ever written. Well not really, because songs like "Pet", "Judith", "Man In The Box" etc, are all about as powerful.

04. Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight - 06 - Dreamworld
I love Rilo Kiley because they have interesting lyrics and Jenny Lewis has a nice voice. But this is hands down my favorite song of theirs, ever, and it's one of the few new songs that is sung by Blake.

05. Rilo Kiley - Take Offs & Landings - 03 - Wires And Waves
Just a catchy tune. I almost didn't include it because of the "planes they smash up in the sky" line seeming forboding with Marianne's job.

06. Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous - 09 - Love And War (11-11-46)
I just like this song. Jenny does a good job and this is a good example of how she could sing just about anything.

07. Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous - 02 - Does He Love You?
This song isn't the best of topics, but it ends with so much emotion in Jenny's voice, and that's one of the things that will sell me on a song. If the singer sounds like they believe in what they are singing, I find that to be more engrossing than clever lyrics or beautiful playing. However, this song has clever lyrics and is well written too. I was going to include "The Slow Fade Of Love" because it's such a beautiful song too, but both this song and that together would be too depressing for one mix disk.

08. Cream - The Very Best Of Cream - 20 - Badge
I've had Cream's greatest hits album for years and had never really given this song the listen that it needed. About mid December I was listening to the album again, and was just blown away by Badge. It was written by George Harrison and Eric Clapton for the last album, and is a perfect example of how genius those guys are.

09. Lisa Hannigan - Sea Sew - 06 - Keep It All
Since many of you may only know Lisa through her affiliation with Damian Rice (her album was only recently available in the US), I thought that including one of the examples of how fun and alluring her solo work is would be a good idea. In Keep It All her voice is both sweet and sultry. This is singing, something that modern Top-40 sluts could never reproduce. And Lisa will probably not make 1/100th of what those ho-bags make.

10. Lisa Hannigan - Sea Sew - 08 - Pistachio
This is an example of Lisa singing light and fun. You should have seen her in concert, she could segue naturally from simple and slow to fast and powerful.

11. Spoon - Gimme Fiction - 07 - I Summon You
I've loved this song ever since KaRyn tried to put it on a mix disk for me (she put 'The Infinite Pet' on by mistake).

12. Paramore - Twilight - 02 - Decode
I bought the Twilight soundtrack for this song alone. It was worth it, even if this had been the only decent song...

13. The Black Ghosts - Twilight - 03 - Full Moon
...but the soundtrack had other songs of value. About 2/3 of them are great, and none of them sucked.

14. The Weakerthans - Purchased - 01 - Virtue the Cat Explains Her Departure
This song is from the perspective of a pet cat. It's a sad song describing how a pet misses it's owner after a bad breakup brought the owner into a depression.

15. The Weakerthans - Purchased - 02 - Pamphleteer
Another slow song. I love the part where he describes how he doesn't know what to do with his hands when they talk, and she doesn't know where to look, so she looks at his hands. It paints a picture of two shy people clumsily meeting up.

16. The Weakerthans - Purchased - 03 - Plea from a Cat Named Virtue
Virtue has had enough of the emo and is now demanding that it's owner cheer up.

17. Bury Your Dead - Beauty And The Breakdown - House Of Brick
I am a firm believer that EVERY genre has quality music in it. It is my opinion that if you hate a certain genre, it's because you haven't put in enough effort to find the right songs. However, some genres take a LOT more work to find the good songs. That is why I don't own much country music. This song is a perfect example of hardcore metal that is well played. The lyrics are a bit stereotyped, but the guitar is done very well.

And that's my 2008 CD. If you need a copy, let me know. I can make a digital version available or burn you a disk if you prefer.

6 comments:

Ninny Beth said...

I did???? You never told me that! Now I feel like a lame CD tool maker. Blurg.

Adam said...

You even mentioned that it "may" be the wrong track when you gave me the CD. I confirmed it a day or so later. Aah, good times.

Lisa and company said...

Nice List- Spoon is fantastic and the Twilight Soundtrack is growing on me. Badge is my favorite song by Cream. I also totally agree with that every genre of music has something to offer-I also agree that some genres take much much more searching. I also do not own much country.
A few of the others on this list I had never heard of and so I am excited to have new music to check out. (i just listend to Ashes Divide and wow I really like them- I think that is going to go to the top of my albums to purchase list)

Lisa and company said...

I listed to the others as well. Didn't really care for Rilo Kiley or Lisa Hannigan. I tend to be very very picky when it comes to female singers for some reason. The Weakerthans are decent though and I had already heard Bury Your Dead. My oldest is a huge hardcore screamo whatever fan. That genre all sounds the same to me. I like bands like A Day to Remember or Dance Gavin Dance where they sing and scream as opposed to just screaming.
Anyway I tend to ramble when I start talking about bands so I will shut up now.

Adam said...

Lisa, listen the "Ritual" by Ashes Divide, particularly the last lines of the song. Wouldn't that be an awesome song to include in the 3rd or 4th Twilight movie?

Lisa and company said...

the lyrics to that song are wow amazing. I love all the ways they talk about using words to hurt people. Very nice. And yes I can see this as part of Twilight.
My ultimate Twilight song is 18th Floor Balcony by Blue October.