2009-12-26

My 2009 CD

01 - Grand Avenue - Place To Fall - 01 - Almost Gone
I found Grand Avenue from their track "She" which was on the movie Cashback. That prompted me to check out the rest of their work. This song is second only to the title track as my favorite Grand Avenue song.

02 - Metric - Fantasies - 02 - Sick Muse
I have no idea how this got on my iPod. I'm crediting Marianne, because I know she is a Metric fan. I really like this album, especially "Gold, Guns, Girls". But I couldn't include that song considering all of whom I am handing this CD out to.

03 - Julian Plenti - Julian Plenti is... Skyscraper - 04 - Games For Days
Clayton mentioned this band to me. I almost made 1/2 this CD from Julian Plenti.

04 - Julian Plenti - Julian Plenti is... Skyscraper - 09 - On The Esplanade
See?

05 - Muse - The Resistance - 08 - I Belong To You - Mon Cœur S'ouvre À Ta Voix
I feel obligated to include a Muse song solely due to how incredible "Absolution" was. This choice was easier than their last album, but they still have not reclaimed the greatness that was "Absolution". This song starts and ends very well, but they drift off in the middle. Are you guys trying to be "artistic"? I'd rather you go back to kicking ass.

06 - B.B. King - Greatest Hits - 15 - Playin' With My Friends (Robert Cray)
You guys need some good old electric blues. B.B. is the greatest living bluesman. And a duet with Robert Cray? Yes please.

07 - Tegan & Sara - Sainthood - 05 - Red Belt
I love Tegan & Sara, even though this album didn't have as many standouts as the last few albums. I hope they aren't slipping like Muse has.

08 - Julian Plenti - Julian Plenti is... Skyscraper - 01 - Only If You Run
See?! See what I mean? Thank you Clayton.

09 - Imogen Heap - Ellipse - 12 - Canvas
I love Imogen's voice, but this album doesn't grab me like "Speak For Yourself".

10 - Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue - 06 - When The Sun Rose Again
I can't believe how much William DuVall sounds like Layne Staley. The first couple of tracks sound like Layne was singing. There are many great tracks on this album. It's worth checking out.

11 - Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone - 11 - Snuff
I knew that Corey Taylor wasn't all metal from some of his other projects. I think it's cool that he brought some of that to this album. As a side note, "Psychosocial" from this album is on my list of all-time favorite hard rock songs.

12 - Azure Ray - Burn And Shiver - 08 - Your Weak Hands
Seems a bit odd mentioning Azure Ray after talking about "Psychosocial". But that's why they aren't even on the same CD. Marianne introduced me to Azure Ray with her CD last year. I went out and bought all of their albums and found this song to be my favorite.

13 - Azure Ray - Hold On Love - 03 - We Are Mice
This song is even better if you watch the video for it.

14 - Grand Avenue - She - 10 - She
This song closed out the movie "Cashback" and introduced me to Grand Evenue.

15 - Grand Avenue - Place To Fall - 10 - Place To Fall
My favorite Grand Avenue song. Try finding Grand Avenue through normal channels. It's almost impossible to find this album or She, even on Amazon.com or iTunes. I found some European music site that will sell these albums, but didn't buy them yet in hopes of finding a US option.

2 comments:

Lisa and company said...

off to check out some of these tracks. Especially new Alice and Chains I have been to skeptical to even listen to a sampling. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Marianne & Clayton said...

Awesomeness. And yes, our albums are about 45% the same. Because we are awesome like that. Good mix!