2007-12-07

Crazy work hours

I work from 1 am to 9:30 am, which are hours I love. Wednesday through Sunday, with Monday and Tuesday off. But it leads to some oddities.

It's really strange to drive to Beatos for lunch, and pass a few of those insane early morning joggers. Here my day is half over, and they are doing the 5 am complete-lack-of-common-sense-jog. Do they know it's 5 am? I feel an urge to purchase some inexpensive watches to hand out so they don't have to exercise at such stupid times. And it's winter! You should see them all bundled up, moreso than I've sometimes prepared for snowboarding.

Another wierd part of working these hours is my interaction with other humans. Of paramount importance is how this schedule affects World Of Warcraft (WoW). What I do is go to bed soon after work (ok, so I will usually do the PvP-daily and then go to bed). Then I get up at about 6 pm on raiding nights (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), and run an instance with the guild (BTW, we are now on Vashj!) Then, after the raid, I will try to get another 1-3 hours of sleep before work. It really feels like I'm living just to work and play WoW, which is a shame. I should just be living to play WoW. I need a "sugar mama" to facilitate my need to play WoW unhindered. Or maybe find some way to play WoW professionally, and then I can have a normal wife. Of course, I don't want a "normal" wife, I want a wife that plays. We have a few couples in our guild that play together. It's seriously full of win.

Sadly, one of my days off (Tuesday morning) is on WoW weekly maintenance. That's 7 hours, in the middle of my "day", that the servers are offline. It's seriously boring. I usually play Guild Wars or organize music or something. The real problem is that servers come back online just about the time I should be starting to sleep. "But my arena points just rolled over! I can't go to bed NOW!" This leads to miserable Wednesdays at work.

But one of the nice aspects of this life is that when I get off work, everything is open. All the stores, banks, etc. So it's really easy to get chores done, I just do them after work, and I have the entire "normal" workday to get them done. It's like potentially having every day off in that regard (if I'm willing to sacrifice sleep, which I am). And even though I work on Sunday, all I have to do is go home and put on a tie, then I'm ready for church. But often I go home and fall asleep, unintentionally or not.

All in all it's a great schedule for me. The positives outweigh the negatives, and it's uncommon which makes life interesting.

2 comments:

Marianne & Clayton said...

So can you pick up my dry cleaning? JK. Glad you are coping well. What are your holiday hours looking like?

Adam said...

I have Mondays and Tuesdays off normally, and will get them both off Christmas week. So lucky me.