2005-10-26

Online music stores

I fully support artists rights to get paid. I have purchased over 700 audio CD's and have no intention of ever stopping.

But I also feel that the audio I buy online is mine, and I have to right to use it anyway that I want. When I buy a song from iTunes, it will not play in WinAmp or many other media players.

If you are using iTunes version 5 or lower, you can use JHymn to strip the DRM from your legally purchased songs. It's arguable how legal this is, but I've lost no sleep.

And am I missing something about the music stores that let you rent music? The new Napster is the most popular music store that uses this model. I guess you have to think of it as an upgrade from satellite Radio, you pay monthly and when you stop paying, you don't get any of what you used to listen to. But if you have a portable audio device that can use this service, you are really locking yourself into a never ending payment plan. As soon as you stop paying, your player becomes almost useless. Sure you can still play mp3's, but that huge online database of music that you once had is now unavailable. Sucks to be you.

3 comments:

j said...

Yeah, I've mulled over that same dilemma myself. I wish there was a store that would sell me music online that I could use the same way that I would use an mp3 that I ripped from a CD that I had purchased.

Also, I hadn't realized that iTunes 6+ was no longer J-hymn compatible. Not that I was using JHymn, but I'd heard of it and was thinking of checking it out. Does the new version of iTunes implement some new DRM system?

Adam said...

It's still FairPlay, but a new revision or something. The JHymn website explains the whole situation, and suggests that you not upgrade yet. They also sound pretty confident that they can crack it though.

Regirlfriend said...

After an exhaustive iTunes to JHymn to MediaMonkey transformation of a jillion of my files, D and I entertained the thought of stealing music again like the good ole' Kazaa days, when we first started dating. Ahh. Oh, and the words "Pirating" or "filesharing" were not used during the discussion. D used the satisfying word "STEALING." I know it made ME feel better. Naturally, this will never happen. But the empty threats to no one in particular were empowering for that moment. I'd suggest it.